Liempo is a popular dish in the Philippines made from pork belly. It is a flavorful and savory dish that is typically marinated in spices and grilled or roasted to perfection. Liempo is believed to have originated in the Philippines and is a staple in many households across the country. Also perfect partner in drinking beers or liquors.
- 2 pounds pork belly
- 5 pcs calamansi, alternative: (1 pc lemon)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp sprite (to balance taste), optional
- Start by marinating the pork belly in a mixture of spices, vinegar, soy sauce, and calamansi juice for at least 30 minutes.
- Next, grill or roast the marinated pork belly over medium-high heat until it is cooked through and the skin is crispy.
- Serve the liempo hot with your choice of dipping sauce. (I prefer mixtures of soy sauce, chili, calamansi, and little bit of sugar).
Better grill it outdoor or on your backyard using charcoal to get the traditional taste which is the smokey flavor.