If you’re a fan of stir-fry dishes, then you’re going to love Chopseuy! This tasty dish is a mix of different vegetables, meats, and seafood, all stir-fried together to create a flavorful and nutritious meal. In this blog post, we’re going to explore the history and origin of Chopseuy, provide you with a complete recipe and list of ingredients, give you step-by-step instructions for preparing and cooking the dish, and discuss the many benefits of eating Chopseuy. Let’s get started!
History and Origin of Chopsuey
Chopseuy is a Chinese-Filipino dish that is believed to have originated in the Philippines during the early 20th century. It is a stir-fry dish that typically includes a mix of vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers, as well as meats like pork, chicken, and shrimp. The dish was created as a way to use up leftover meats and vegetables, and it quickly became a popular and affordable meal among the working class.
Recipe and Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make Chopseuy:
- 1 lb. of meat (pork, chicken, or shrimp)
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving: This recipe makes 4 servings.
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions:
- In a large wok or frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the meat and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, and black pepper, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and bell pepper, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the wok or frying pan, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Benefits of Eating Chopseuy
Chopseuy is a nutritious dish that is packed with vegetables and lean protein. Cabbage, one of the main ingredients in Chopseuy, is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber. Carrots are loaded with beta-carotene, which is important for eye health, while bell peppers are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Pork, chicken, and shrimp provide high-quality protein, which is important for building and repairing muscles. Overall, Chopseuy is a healthy and delicious meal that can help you meet your daily nutrient needs.
Now that you know how to cook Chopseuy, it’s time to try it out for yourself! This dish is not only delicious, but it’s also a great way to incorporate more vegetables and lean protein into your diet. Plus, it’s easy to customize based on your preferences – you can use any combination of meats and vegetables that you like.
If you’re looking to make this dish even healthier, you can swap out the meat for tofu or tempeh and use low-sodium soy sauce and oyster sauce. You can also add other vegetables like snow peas, mushrooms, or bamboo shoots.