Filipino Bulalo is a hearty and comforting soup that is popular in the Philippines. The dish is believed to have originated in the province of Batangas, known for its rich culinary heritage, and has since become a staple in Filipino cuisine.
- 2 pounds beef shanks and bones
- 8 cups water
- 1 pc medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pc large tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head bok choy
- 1 head pechay optional
- 1 pc yellow corn, sliced into 2 inches
- 1 pc cabbage, sliced
- In a large pot, bring the beef shanks, bones, water, onion, garlic, tomato, salt, and pepper to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and the broth is flavorful.
- Add the bok choy, corn, pechay and Napa cabbage to the pot and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the bulalo in bowls, topped with the vegetables.